logo

Warning: The forum is now for consultation only. Please use GitHub Discussions to post any questions or comments.

Welcome Guest ! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Marten  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 7:21:09 PM(UTC)
Marten

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

I would really like to use the drill-down feature in my report, but somehow I do not get its logic.

- I have a MYSQL database with a number of records. Many have the same date. There is also a value field. I have createda month field just like in the Northwind example ( select Month(Date_invoice) as month)
- In the table section, I have selected a 'Drill Child': value
- Then in the models-section, I have Month as Row element, and Value as Data Element

I expected to be able to drill down in de report to individual dates within the month, but that is not happening.

I also tried to create a sub-report, but I get an error that I have not saved my Datasource (How?). If I try to open a (self-made) subreport there is an error that my report does not have a prompted restriction (I think I have selected that...)

I feel there is something I am missing. Is there anybody that can help me out? I would really appreciate it.

Marten
epf  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:07:56 AM(UTC)
epf

Groups: Administrators
Switzerland

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 198 post(s)
Difficult to debug your Data Source, first check https://sealreport.org/Sources#lineColumns_1 and then the Northwind sample.

The drill is defined from a parent column...to go to a child.

You have also sub-reports samples in Northwind.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:08:41 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Marten  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 16, 2019 7:36:08 AM(UTC)
Marten

Groups: Registered
Netherlands

OK thanks.

- Can any field that shows up in the report, serve as a child field?
- In the northwind example, the SQL query (in the Data source) already groups the results to the child fields (even before the data is further structured within the SQL Model inside the report designer). Is this necessary?
- Is saving the data-source the same as converting it into a repository (or does converting automatically mean saving)?

I hope you can help me resolve this.

Marten
epf  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:59:29 AM(UTC)
epf

Groups: Administrators
Switzerland

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 198 post(s)
well yes you can show in report elements having parent or child definition
it is better to define the hierarchy Parent-Child with columns located in the same table (or view) but it is not necessary, otherwise the behavior will depends on the joins defined between tables as the new query used to drill will include the child element.

Converting a data source to a repository source is just a helper: when you see that current your report Data Source should be shared to build other reports, you have to switch to a Repository Data Source.