logo

Warning: The forum is now for consultation only. Please use GitHub Discussions to post any questions or comments.

Welcome Guest ! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
scott9677  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 5, 2018 9:33:49 PM(UTC)
scott9677

Groups: Registered

I'm attempting to deploy the web site to IIS 10 on Server 2016 and currently I'm getting the following error when I try to load the page:

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=6.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
System.Net.Http.Formatting.BaseJsonMediaTypeFormatter..ctor() +0
System.Net.Http.Formatting.JsonMediaTypeFormatter..ctor() +73
System.Net.Http.Formatting.MediaTypeFormatterCollection.CreateDefaultFormatters() +55
System.Web.Http.HttpConfiguration.DefaultFormatters(HttpConfiguration config) +34
System.Web.Http.HttpConfiguration..ctor(HttpRouteCollection routes) +368
System.Web.Http.<>c.<CreateConfiguration>b__11_0() +79
System.Lazy`1.CreateValue() +708
System.Lazy`1.LazyInitValue() +184
SealWebServer.MvcApplication.Application_Start() +33

I have duplicated the same error in Azure by uploading the files to a 64 bit .NET 4.7 app service.

I used the SealSetup4.1_x64 install and pointed IIS to it as a 64 bit web application (32 bit is disabled).

Any thoughts on how to get past this error? Should I try the 32 bit install?
epf  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 12:30:50 PM(UTC)
epf

Groups: Administrators
Switzerland

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 199 post(s)
No the 64bit version should work.
I guess your web.config is incorrect: if you re-install on an previous version, it will not overriden by the setup.
The current web.config references Json v11
Code:
   <runtime>
      <assemblyBinding xmlns="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:asm.v1">
         <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="Newtonsoft.Json" publicKeyToken="30ad4fe6b2a6aeed" culture="neutral" />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="0.0.0.0-11.0.0.0" newVersion="11.0.0.0" />
         </dependentAssembly>
         <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Helpers" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-3.0.0.0" newVersion="3.0.0.0" />
         </dependentAssembly>
         <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.WebPages" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-3.0.0.0" newVersion="3.0.0.0" />
         </dependentAssembly>
         <dependentAssembly>
            <assemblyIdentity name="System.Web.Mvc" publicKeyToken="31bf3856ad364e35" />
            <bindingRedirect oldVersion="1.0.0.0-5.2.6.0" newVersion="5.2.6.0" />
         </dependentAssembly>
      </assemblyBinding>
   </runtime>

You should have a copy of the original in "Web.Release.Config" (same directory).
Please check this first...
scott9677  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:25:10 PM(UTC)
scott9677

Groups: Registered

For Server 2016 it is a new install on a brand new test server. Azure is a brand new/empty Application Server.

There was a web.config that just contained a restriction on directory browsing. Then the web.release.config which had the correct settings. I have renamed the small web.config, copied the web.release.config to web.config and I'm still getting the same error, even after an IISRESET and rebooting the server.

I enabled web assembly debugging:
An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine why the assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = Newtonsoft.Json
(Partial)
WRN: Partial binding information was supplied for an assembly:
WRN: Assembly Name: Newtonsoft.Json | Domain ID: 2
WRN: A partial bind occurs when only part of the assembly display name is provided.
WRN: This might result in the binder loading an incorrect assembly.
WRN: It is recommended to provide a fully specified textual identity for the assembly,
WRN: that consists of the simple name, version, culture, and public key token.
WRN: See whitepaper http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=109270 for more information and common solutions to this issue.
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Program Files/Seal Report/Web/
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = C:\Program Files\Seal Report\Web\bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===
LOG: This bind starts in default load context.
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Program Files\Seal Report\Web\web.config
LOG: Using host configuration file: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet.config
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/Temporary ASP.NET Files/seal/1452caa1/8d51880e/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/Temporary ASP.NET Files/seal/1452caa1/8d51880e/Newtonsoft.Json/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Seal Report/Web/bin/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL.
LOG: Using application configuration file: C:\Program Files\Seal Report\Web\web.config
LOG: Using host configuration file: C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\aspnet.config
LOG: Using machine configuration file from C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v4.0.30319\config\machine.config.
LOG: Redirect found in application configuration file: 11.0.0.0 redirected to 11.0.0.2.
LOG: Post-policy reference: Newtonsoft.Json, Version=11.0.0.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/Temporary ASP.NET Files/seal/1452caa1/8d51880e/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework64/v4.0.30319/Temporary ASP.NET Files/seal/1452caa1/8d51880e/Newtonsoft.Json/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL file:///C:/Program Files/Seal Report/Web/bin/Newtonsoft.Json.DLL.
WRN: Comparing the assembly name resulted in the mismatch: Revision Number
ERR: Failed to complete setup of assembly (hr = 0x80131040). Probing terminated.

Stack Trace:

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]

[FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=11.0.0.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +0
System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks) +225
System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean forIntrospection) +110
System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString, Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection) +22
System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String assemblyString) +34
System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +48

[ConfigurationErrorsException: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=11.0.0.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssemblyHelper(String assemblyName, Boolean starDirective) +729
System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAllAssembliesFromAppDomainBinDirectory() +247
System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(AssemblyInfo ai) +157
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetReferencedAssemblies(CompilationSection compConfig) +226
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.GetPreStartInitMethodsFromReferencedAssemblies() +73
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.CallPreStartInitMethods(String preStartInitListPath, Boolean& isRefAssemblyLoaded) +321
System.Web.Compilation.BuildManager.ExecutePreAppStart() +170
System.Web.Hosting.HostingEnvironment.Initialize(ApplicationManager appManager, IApplicationHost appHost, IConfigMapPathFactory configMapPathFactory, HostingEnvironmentParameters hostingParameters, PolicyLevel policyLevel, Exception appDomainCreationException) +734

[HttpException (0x80004005): Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=11.0.0.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)]
System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +525
System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureFirstRequestInit(HttpContext context) +118
System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestNotificationPrivate(IIS7WorkerRequest wr, HttpContext context) +708

---
At this point I uninstalled everything, rebooted, reinstalled, and reattached the web app on Server 2016 and it is still giving the same error.

EDIT - then I noticed the web.config is gone. I copied the web.release.config to web.config and now it is working.

Thanks for your tips. Not sure why the third reinstall worked but I'll take it...

Edited by user Thursday, December 6, 2018 2:29:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified