logo

Warning: The forum is now for consultation only. Please use GitHub Discussions to post any questions or comments.

Welcome Guest ! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sathish  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2015 12:41:48 PM(UTC)
Sathish

Groups: Registered
India

I am new to seal reports.
Am connecting to DB2 database (as ODBC connection) as par one of the posts on this site and trying to fetch records in the range of 25000, with 5 columns of data. Each time I try to do this I run into a different set of problem. Once it did not load any thing and application stood still, other times it loaded data but got stuck at processing and so on.
Am I over loading the application by trying to pull 25k records in one shoot. Are these kind of issues some thing that any one has come across?
epf  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 27, 2015 1:36:13 PM(UTC)
epf

Groups: Administrators
Switzerland

Was thanked: 205 time(s) in 198 post(s)
This is a classic issue for a reporting tool when you reach a huge number of records...and Seal does not keep part of the records on the server.
It has no really sense to show 25000 lines to an end-user, the HTML document will be very big for your browser, and the JavaScript for sorting and filtering will take a lot of CPU....
Normally, we did performances tests till 5000 records.

So I would say first to use aggregate functions in your SQL to let the database engine do the work.

You can also check this post: https://sealreport.org/f...g=posts&t=93#post195
And you might also check the ODBC driver properties of DB2, I experienced that with an Oracle ODBC driver: I had to configure the network packet size to have reasonable performances on huge queries.

Good luck.
Sathish  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 6:07:47 AM(UTC)
Sathish

Groups: Registered
India

Yes, it's true that it wouldn't make sense to show 25000 records at once to the user, but we do have a requirement where a huge number of records (around 15k, which are a days transaction) to be pulled up on the report. Was just checking the possible worst case scenario.

Also just to confirm my understand, the tool does not store any information on the server, It just pulls up all the records returned from the query and passes it on to the client and client side pagination takes place, Is that right?
Is there a option of server side pagination, where say a set of records are pulled up on the first hit and when user wants to see the next set, clicks on the next button and next set is retrieved by hitting the DB.

I probably am asking for too much, just want to know if it is possible.
epf  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:15:13 AM(UTC)
epf

Switzerland

No there is no server pagination in the current version, this could be a feature request but I never really experienced that this feature is useful.
You can try to generate huge report in a file using output, CSV is the best format for this.
epf  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 12, 2017 1:39:30 PM(UTC)
epf

Switzerland

Update: The 3.1 versions supports server side pagination....