logo

Warning: The forum is now for consultation only. Please use GitHub Discussions to post any questions or comments.

Welcome Guest ! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AlbertZ  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 1:21:09 PM(UTC)
AlbertZ

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

I am creating my reports based on a localhost database. Later this report must work for a remote database. Is there a way to replace the localhost data source for a remote data source? I looked into it to do it manually, but a lot of guids have to be replaced. An alternative of course would be to change the data source from localhost to remote, but then I cannot share the data source between reports. As a report creator I want to replace the data source for another data source with exactly the same table definitions so that I can move my report from one environment to another environment. Or, am I seeing this completely wrong? What is your idea of the workflow to move a report from one environment to another (e.g. from development to production)?

The data source I am using is a bit generic so that I can use it for different projects, only applying restrictions specific for the project. However, I have to repeat the restriction to every model I create. As a report creator I want a central location in the report where I can set variables for all models and all views so that I can quickly specify a report for a project.
epf  
#2 Posted : Thursday, May 12, 2016 7:16:37 PM(UTC)
epf

Groups: Administrators
Switzerland

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Well, difficult to say what is the best.

One first approach should be to have a dedicated data source file (*.scfx) and you just change the values of the connection string
<ConnectionString>Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=%SEALREPOSITORY%\Databases\Northwind.mdb;Persist Security Info=False</ConnectionString>
before delivering to your production env.

Another way it to create an ODBC data source on your DEV server and your PROD server having the same name, then the connection string is always the same (like DSN = MyName)

You could also use the Pre SQL Statement of your Data Source to change the connection dynamically when the report is executed (needs a little bit of coding and to find out which connection should be used).

Good luck.