logo

Warning: The forum is now for consultation only. Please use GitHub Discussions to post any questions or comments.

Welcome Guest ! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jswartz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 28, 2017 10:46:15 PM(UTC)
jswartz

Groups: Registered
United States

Hello,

I've been exploring Seal Reports and love what you've done. I've delved into things quite a bit, yet feel that I've only really scratched the surface. Initially we showed some basic ideas to our corporate office having pushed aggregated data to a central SQL database from multiple locations. The feedback interest was more along the lines of accessing site specific data directly by individual location users.

Right now we are just using the seal generated web site under IIS and have used the utility to create a few reports, but I'm thinking about management of a centralized report repository, ie creating a base report template that is then used for different locations (different data sources), different email recipients, and filtering parameters. I've considered creating an app or applications that can modify a base report and copy it to individual sites (or a site folder) changing the connection string in the report xml or the like, but am wondering if:

1.) Is there already something your company has beyond the open source stuff that is more for enterprise level solutions that we may want to encourage our company to purchase (why reinvent the wheel).

2.) Am I thinking about this wrong, and is there a different direction I should take.

Admittedly I haven't yet done due diligence in exploring all of your source code, so I may thinking in entirely the wrong direction here.
epf  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2017 3:47:10 PM(UTC)
epf

Groups: Administrators
Switzerland

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Hi and thank you for your comment, it is always interesting to discuss on end-users needs/architecture...

As far as In have understood your requirements, it is difficult to give a simple answer. Here are some remarks related:
  • Installing multiple-instance on your server allows you to have different configuration and repositories, etc. https://sealreport.org/f...g=posts&t=91#post177
  • If you have a well defined security (and you should have one I guess) and if you know C# and the SR models, you can customize some scripts to create dynamically the default values you want: e.g. SMTP Server, Data Sources). The 2 general scripts that can be interesting are in: Server Manager->Configuration->Configure Server...
    Then depending on the user connected, you can customize what you want at report creation and report execution.
    The other interesting script is of course the Custom Security Script of the Security Provider (Server Manager->Configuration->Configure Web Security...) where you can set default depending on the user profile/rights...

Note that we do not have any tools/layer above the current SR to publish different repositories...could be a feature request but according to me you could do all you need playing with the scripts...

Edited by user Friday, December 29, 2017 3:51:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked epf for this useful post.
jswartz on 12/29/2017(UTC)
jswartz  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 29, 2017 8:35:43 PM(UTC)
jswartz

Groups: Registered
United States

Thanks, I hadn't discovered the multi-instance aspect yet. I'm thinking multiple sites pointing at the same repository (the data sources for each site being different, but the same structure).
epf  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 30, 2017 9:23:47 AM(UTC)
epf

Groups: Administrators
Switzerland

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 199 post(s)
So the second option seems the simplest, you can centralize and master everything with a few lines of code...
You just have to dive in the Seal Report models....
Good luck.