logo

Warning: The forum is now for consultation only. Please use GitHub Discussions to post any questions or comments.

Welcome Guest ! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mail2ram  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 10:24:14 PM(UTC)
mail2ram

Groups: Registered
United States

I m trying SEAL reports for the first time and not able to connect to Oracle database.

Do SEAL reports support Oracle database connectivity?

If so can someone share here the sample connectivity strings with DSN or how to connect Oracle DB fro SEAL?

Thanks,
Ramkumar
epf  
#2 Posted : Sunday, January 20, 2019 8:02:43 AM(UTC)
epf

Groups: Administrators
Switzerland

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 199 post(s)
You need first to install an configure the Oracle OLEDb Driver on your computer.
So get the one you want (32bit or 64bit) from Oracle site (search Google for 'oracle provider for ole db download')

Then set you connection string (search 'oracle ole db connection string')

Seal Report is a standard .Net application connecting to Oracle....

Good luck.
tgessert  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2019 5:11:09 PM(UTC)
tgessert

Germany

I had the same task today. My solution:

1. Decide if you want to use a x86 or x64 installation - Oracle doesn't allow both versions on one system (must be the same as your application)
1. Get the Oracle InstantClient Basic and ODBC extension from the Oracle website (both are .zip-Files)
2. Unpack both into a new subdirectory - there should be a install_odbc.exe in there afterwards
3. put your tnsnames.ora file into this directory
4. The instantclient needs a specified vc_redist install, in my case for 12.2 it was the vc++ 2013 redist x86 v12.0.40660 - even for a x64 instantclient! Otherwise you can't configure the ODBC connection.
5. Configure your ODBC32 / ODBC64 Connection - I made a system DSN
6. In the Seal Report Designer I make a new connection, click directly on the "..." at the end of "Connection string" and choose "Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers".
7. Just fill the form with all requested information, like DSN name, user / password

That's it!
epf  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:31:07 AM(UTC)
epf

Groups: Administrators
Switzerland

Was thanked: 206 time(s) in 199 post(s)
Thank you for the post,

Instead of using Microsoft OLE DB for ODBC, which requires an ODBC connection defined on your computer, I recommend to use the native Oracle Provider for Ole DB.

This comes with the Oracle download: 64-bit ODAC 12.2c Release 1 (12.2.0.1.1) for Windows x64
Once you have configured your TSNNAME, just select the Oracle Provider and set your TSNNAME.

The connection string will be Provider=OraOLEDB.Oracle.1;Data Source=YOUR_TNSNAME

I presume that using native driver will offer better performances and behavior...

Good luck.
thanks 1 user thanked epf for this useful post.
Benbabu on 8/29/2019(UTC)
tgessert  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 1:58:24 PM(UTC)
tgessert

Germany

Thank you for clarifying your solution. I will give it a try.

So far I always used ODBC drivers because they are available for the most of our data sources and there are a lot of ODBC libraries for Python which I use the most. I've seen diagrams where OLEDB was an additional layer to ODBC for SQL databases and others where it was using direct access. But the way it works may have changed over the time and database.